28.7.13

R13.21: Fuji Super Tuesdays 7/16 - Stagiares

Mark: hm...
write me a race report for last tuesday
Jeremy: Hmmm
Did you win?
Mark: i did

Jeremy: Done
"I won"

In reality, here's a write-up:  I woke up ungodly early to drive out with my parents to PA to pay for a new car that my dad bought.  I tried to sleep most of the way, but that never works well.  The car was beautiful; a great condition 1936 Ford Club Cabriolet convertible.  Afterward, we drove up to my Aunt's to visit, but she was at the doctor for a broken finger, but we still chatted with my cousins for a bit.  Then came dinner, which was at this tacky diner right next to our hotel.  Finally came racing.  I spent a good amount of time hemming and hawing about whether I should race or not because at this point I was completely beat from a long(er than normal) day.  In the end, I went with the mantra "what would Marty do?" and figured if I was this close to the track, I might as well race even if I just ended up getting my ass handed to me.

We showed up at the track not long after Keiran and Andy showed up, which was a pleasant surprise.  Philly Keith and George were also around, so it was a nice group to chat with.  I think Cameron was also around.  I started by warming up as usual:

Then the first race was a 2km scratch.  These races seem to be on the schedule a lot.  I seem to remember attacking on the back stretch with 2 laps to go.  I came from the back, but I didn't feel like I had a good jump.  It was enough to get away clean, though, and I was able to stay ahead for the win.

The local news team interviewed me after that first race, which was very cool.  Nothing makes you feel Pro like a tv interview.  The next race was a 20 lap points.  I don't really remember what happened.  I think I grabbed a couple of 4th place points, maybe?  It got me 4th overall.  (note to self: write reports sooner).  Wait, wait.  I think I remember now.  I got some early points in the first sprint, then tried to stay away to win the second sprint.  Something along those lines.  But I got caught on the sprint lap.  After that, I was mostly toast.


The final race of the evening for the Stagiares was a 10 lap Tempo.  Will P attacked, and I came with him.  We traded pulls for a while, trying to stay away, but somewhere in the middle we got caught.  After that, I sat in and was able to catch the odd point here and there, if memory serves me well.

In the end, this put me in the lead for the omnium, one point ahead of Will.  I could have sworn he would have won it, so I was super excited.

Marty asked me if I wanted to race the Pro/Am feature, which I kinda did, so I said sure.  It was stupid fast.  I bumped up to my 96" gear, and felt like I was spinning out again.  The avg speed was 30+mph.  It was a 10km scratch, and I lasted over halfway through.  I was just sitting near the back hanging on for dear life when a gap opened in front of me that I couldn't close.  I also wanted to keep some kind of power in my legs for k-town the next day, so I wasn't too upset by this.

I packed up, picked up my prize money, and went to our hotel for the night.  It's nice not having to drive home right away.  Or drive at all.

Results here:

No comments:

Post a Comment