27.6.12

Race: T-town Fuji Super Tuesdays 6/27 - Stagiares

Heading to the track was about the same as always.  Just some traffic on the LIE, but the rest of the trip went pretty well.  Steve and I ate at Quizno's and got to the track just about when registration opened.  Our new team kit finally arrived, so we were pretty excited to try it on.

The first race was an unknown distance.  Looking at the other races on the schedule, I concluded that the race would be about 7 laps long.  I figured I would attack after 4 laps, and try to stay away until the end.  I feel like the officials generally like the crazy solo break, so I figured I had that going for me.  Lining up at the rail, the announcer said he felt like the race would be 9 laps.  Steve made a few quick jabs at the front the first few laps, but I think he was trying to not burn his matches too early.  I attacked in turn two of the 3rd or 4th lap, got a quick gap going and just put my head down.  around, around around I went.  Just looking at the officials and waiting for the bell.  Waiting and waiting.  Eventually after four or five laps off the front, I couldn't stay away any longer and I got reeled back in on the homestretch going into lap 9.  Another lap and the bell finally rang.  Steve tried to attack, but he got stuck in a second group with a gap behind 5 front riders.  I was able to keep pace and stay just behind steve's group.  Regardless, I executed my plan perfectly.  I blame the officials for not acknowledging the blind risk-takers.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/193244579

The next race was a 15 lap scratch.  After the last race, I was determined to just sit in the group and sprint at the finish.  Until they announced a $10 prime.  I knew I wouldn't be in the paying spots in the omnium, so I was hoping to get some money to cut my losses.  At the time there was a group of 3 off the front.  I sprinted from the main pack up across to the group of three, sliding in behind just after the finish line for the prime.  One of the 3 got popped off the back, so it was 3 again, with two riders and me.  I feel like this was roughly 6 laps in.  We traded pace for a few laps, but eventually got swallowed up by the field around turn 1/2.  I followed the wheel of the guy in front of me, who swung up track, so the group had to work their way around us.  This disrupted an attack that Steve was hoping to make, but within a lap, he gave it a go.  This is roughly with 4 to go or so.  I tried to block a little up front, giving him a good gap, but by then my legs were starting to go.  I drifted to the back of the field, and the gap slowly closed up until the last lap.  I found Gavi Epstein's wheel and figured that was as good as any to follow.  I don't really remember how the finish went, but I think I got too antsy and tried to move up too early and ended up going backward again.  Gavi got 5th.  Nothing for Steve and me again.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/193244573

The final race was a Flying Mile.  This is basically a 5 lap scratch, with a full extra neutral lap, and a start in turn 1/2.  I knew this would be short and fast, so I decided to step up my gear from my standard 90" (50x15) to around 94" at 49x14.  The pace was just as hot as I figured and the gear felt good.  I didn't feel like I was bogged down and certainly not spinning.  The only problem was my legs were so dead at this point that any time I tried to put any power in to move up in the field I just got no response from the engine room.  Steve said he had the same problem, and so we both finished in the pack somewhere.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/193244567

We both decided to sit out the A feature 40 lap points race as our legs were dead, and this bruised rib was killing me at this point.  There must be some different type of pollen in the area or something, because after the first race I got a mean tickle cough.  Combining coughing with this bruised rib, I was in worlds of pain for a while.  We both went and got a beer instead and watched Bobby Lea and another rider lap the field.  It was really impressive stuff.  Steve got some compliments for his riding today and for the team kit.  All in all, I think it was a successful evening, even if we still haven't won gas/beer money.

No comments:

Post a Comment