20.6.12

Race: Kissena Twilight Series 6/20 - Cat 3/4

The weather was stupidly hot today.  I was really thinking I shouldn't even race today, but I had to drop off Kim's bike which Steve and I had picked up in t-town the night before.

The first race was a Win and Out.  Four other Pink Rhinos showed up (Keith, Andy, Lucas, Aaron) so I was asking if anybody wanted me to work for them.  I agreed to lead Andy out, but when I picked up the pace at the start of the lap before the first sprint, I found myself on the front alone.  Andy told me keith had lost my wheel.  Sorry guys.  On the plus side, I got first place.  Hooray me.  On a side note, Andy got second and I think lucas got 3rd.  Pink Rhino Podium!

Next was a 12 lap scratch.  I attacked with maybe 7 to go.  Lucas, keith and I think one or two other riders bridged up and we had a little gap going.  Suddenly in turn 3 I think I hear a lot of whistle blowing, but assume it's the crazy baseball players.  In turn 4 I realize it's actually Alan whistling and see a crash in the backstretch just after turn 2.  Turns out Joe B and another rider (Andrew, I think?) went down.  The race was stopped as they were tended to.  Fortunately, both guys looked not too bad.  A good amount of road rash, and Joe's back wheel was toast, but seemingly no broken bones or anything.  Hopefully they both heal up quick. **see edit**

The race was restarted with 3 to go and with the group together.  My legs were suddenly feeling very heavy from stopping cold after racing, so I just sat behind guys.  I think Keith ended up with 1st, I came in 2nd and Andy possibly 3rd? **see edit**

The final race was a 10 lap Tempo.  I was feeling the heat by now, but I gave it a go.  kept getting edged out on the sprints.  I think I got 3 2nd place sprints.  I finally sat up with 5 to go as I was starting to feel like I could throw up.

On a side note, there was some sketchy riding in the 4/5 field as well.  There are a couple of new guys that I don't think understand how track racing works.  Unfortunately, they also seem to not speak english, so there's a real language barrier to try to help them.  One guy does things like ride on the tops of his sprint bars mid-race, get lapped and try to make moves in the group as they come around again, sits up but stays in the sprint lane so everyone else has to go around him.  Robert was also saying he and his friend would chop riders in the sprint lane.  Oh, and the guy also attacked before the whistle was even blown.  Alan had to restart the neutral lap because he just kept on going.  I guess they should have come to the track clinic.  Hopefully they get some sense talked into them.

EDIT: The results are in.  Turns out I got 3rd in the scratch.  shrug.  Also, it looks like Joe has a minor break in his collar bone.  Heal up, Joe!  Finally, I ended up second on the omnium.  results here:
http://www.kissenavelodrome.info/results/2012/Kissena12TwilightSeriesWeek7.pdf

1 comment:

  1. Nice race report. Stupidly hot indeed. Glad to see Pink Rhino is making a name for themselves.

    ReplyDelete