31.8.12

Race: T-Town Fuji Super Tuesdays 8/28 - Stagiares

Once again, I've waited too long to write up this report, so the details are once again lost to the mists of time:

I drove to the track this time.  I was pretty proud of myself for that.  I left at noon-fifteen, and got there around 4, maybe earlier.  Got some foods at panera, then headed to the track to take a nap in the shade of the bleachers.  I got bored of that after a half hour, so I figured I would do some laps on the track until things got going.  In the parking lot I saw non-team Keith, so we talked for a bit.  We got our bikes together just as team keith and team andy showed up.  We all brought our stuff to the infield and about that time registration opened.  Registered, stood around.  Potentially-team Jen showed up.  Changed, warmed up.  Switched wheels, warmed up again.  I decided I was going to bump up the gearing a bit today.  Allllll the way up.  to 91.8" (51x15).  Risky business, let me tell you.

The first race was a 5 lap Scratch.  I was near the back up top at the gun, so I spent the first few laps just trying to move up in the field.  Basically the whole race was a slow wind up to the final sprint, but when I saw mini-nothstein and another rider go, I went.  I couldn't keep up with their acceleration, but a quick look behind showed I had enough of a gap to maintain third, my best result yet this year.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/216307252

Next was a 20 lap Points race.  I think I got fourth in the first sprint, maybe fifth in the next.  After this I just couldn't find my legs.  I spent the rest of the race dogging it on the back, just trying to not get popped off and lapped.  Andy was able to make some moves though, and he ended up getting third in this race.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/216307247

The final race for the Stagiare omnium was an unknown distance scratch.  Since this was the last race instead of the first this time, I figured I would wait in the field a bit before trying my suicide solo attack off the front.  I had a feeling the race would be ten laps or so, so I figured I would try to attack around 5 laps in.  In reality, the race only ended up being six laps long, so I spent the final lap passing almost the whole field in the backstretch of the bell lap and taking fourth in the sprint.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/216307243

This concluded the Stagiare Omnium.  I came in fourth overall for the night, which is also my best result this year.  It got me a $10 check and one upgrade point.  Truly I am finally making it.

The feature race for the evening was a 40 lap Madison.  Keith and Andy managed to get themselves in it, which I thought was great.  They originally thought it would be great, then tried to get out of it, then actually raced and had a good time.  They got gapped early on, but they looked really good after they started to get comfortable with it.  I, on the other hand, got a beer.

Jen got third or fourth overall, I think.  Something along those lines.  I'll update this when the results are posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment