24.5.12

Race: Kissena Twilight Series 5/24 - Cat 3/4

Well it was raining most of the day at home, but the weather forecast said flushing should be nice and dry, so I figured I would chance it.  I still had all my track bits and pieces in the auto from the failed t-town trip yesterday.  When I got to the track, it was in fact beautiful out.  Slightly windy, slightly humid.

I still had a 51 on the front from t-town, but I dropped down to a 50 with my usual 15 on the rear. Warming up with my 16 on the rear actually felt the best all day.  Switching to the 15 for racing felt sluggish again.  In hindsight, maybe I should have dropped even lower.

The first race was an 8 lap snowball.  My overly optimistic plan was to sit in the whole race and sprint for the final 3 sprints.  Yeah, not so much.  Former pro (whom I think I raced at the kingsbridge roller race) gavi epstein was there.  As expected, he went off the front at the first sprint.  I got up on his wheel and he swung his elbow for me to go through.  I guess I'm more used to riding with classy riders, but for some reason on the second lap sprint, gavi went around me for the points.  So that's how it's going to be, eh?  I said 'screw this' and sat up to the rest of the group.  It didn't seem worth it for me to ride on the rivet for gavi to pip me for points the whole race.  The final sprint I think I came in 4th, out of the points.  Oh well.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/181432951

Next was a 20 lap points race.  Since there were only two fields, 4/5 and 3/4, the second race was only a handful of minutes after the first.  I was still beat up, and I think just about everyone else was as even after the gun went off, we all rode slow for a few laps.  It was kind of sad, but I was in no place to make moves happen.  Eventually Gavi went off the front again, this time with keith.  I sat in with andy and mattie and a few other guys.  One of which was starting to get pissed that we were about to get lapped at about 8 to go.  Interestingly enough, he wasn't particularly interested in sitting up front and setting pace.  Beggars can't be chosers, I say.  I don't really remember what all happened, but I don't think I had anything of note.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/181432946

The final race was a 9 lap win and out.  I was gunning for second place of course.  Gavi won first with complaining guy trying to outsprint him.  It didn't happen, so he hung out to dry for a while.  I put on the gas and caught him in turn 1 of the bell lap and hammered it to the line.  Turn 4 saw another rider coming up next to me.  It was Andy.  We both threw our bikes and looked at each other wondering who exactly won.  I swore it was him, he swore it was me.  Either way I wasn't going to keep riding, so I sat up.  Andy kept on racing.  Talking with Alan, he couldn't tell who won, so we both ended up in second place.  Works for me.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/181432937

Of note, I felt like puking the last two races (I might have thrown up in my mouth a couple of times, actually).  Throughout all three races I also felt very slow, with tired legs, and trouble breathing.  wahhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment