5.5.12

Race: Kissena Opening Weekend - Day 1

Hooray!  It's track time!

Day 1.  There was a threat of rain in the 5 day forecast early on in the week, but by thursday/friday this was supposed to have gone away.  The friday forecast showed partly cloudy, temps in the 70s.  I woke up to a drizzling rain.  The drive out was also rain.  The track was wet, but slowly dried.  It stayed cloudy the whole time though, starting out humid (I felt soaking wet just riding around) and then getting cold by the last few races.

The first race was a 10 lap scratch.  I had big plans for the event.  Mostly just holding onto Colin's wheel for a hoped 2nd place.  Steve was also in the race with me, as well as Tad.  I didn't even know Tad was there until he attacked for the first of many times.  I wasn't sure how to react to the attacks, whether I should jump on his wheel quick or wait for Colin to bridge up.  I opted for the latter, thinking it would be a good team-mate type thing.  Long story short, the race ended up with Tad attacking alot, Colin countering, and for the final sprint, it was Colin, Jon Chambers and Tad in front of me, possibly not in that exact order.  4th place for me.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175110056

Next was the Miss and Out.  My legs were already starting to feel dead, but I was able to just edge a few guys out to make it past the elimination along with Colin and Jon.  I tried to stay on their wheels and recover, but when they attacked each other, I just sat up and decided to fight another day.  Even if I had gone with them, the results would have been the same.  3rd place for me.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175110055

After this was the flying 200's.  I feel like I'm getting the hang of these things.  Maybe not.  Who knows.  I switched to my 14 in the back, keeping my 50 in front.  All the other races today were done in 90" (50x15).  I felt like I wound it up pretty well and apparently got the second fastest flying 200 time, which I find hard to believe.  It was a 12.7something.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175110052

The first round of sprints found me in a three-up against Steve and Rick Beasley (I think.  the memory is fuzzy already).  I got second seed (I think).  We had some good cat and mouse going, almost getting into a track stand.  Then Rick attacked, and I slowly caught up with him near turn 1 and kept on going for the win. In hindsight, I didn't realize Steve and I got a gap, I just saw a wheel behind me that didn't look familiar.  Oh well.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175110050

This put me in Semi Finals, I guess.  In this one I went up against Jon Chambers, and I think Steve again.  In hindsight, I must have raced against steve in every one of my heats.  Interesting.  I was third seed, but slid in behind Jon.  My hope was that I would be better at a long attack, so I waited until Jon turned his head, I think also in turn 3 of the first lap and attacked hard.  I got a little gap going, but he finally caught and passed me in turn 3 on the final lap.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175110044

Now this bumped me down into the race for 3rd place.  It ended up being another 3-up with Steve, Andrew Brennan and me.  I think I was 3rd seed again.  The secret plan was to let Steve win so he would get some omnium points, but Andrew ended up being a harder opponent than we thought.  Steve attacked early, but Andrew was right on his wheel with me sitting a bit behind to take it all in.  When it became obvious that Andrew would pip Steve, I poured it on to come around for the win.  I could use those points, too.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175110040

No comments:

Post a Comment