18.7.11

RACE: Kissena International Omnium 7/17

The weather was hot and windy. Fortunately Joe Brennan had some extra tents that we put up to keep the riders out of the shade. Joe also had chips and cold sodas/water for everyone. He definitely puts on a good race. I got there right around 9ish and helped set up a little. Racing started a little late as apparently there was some confusion about start time among the officials. No worries, I hardly even noticed.

The first race was a flying 500m scratch race. I think it's one of Joe's crazy races. I remembered from last year that if you're in the back, you'll never make up the distance, so I made sure to stay toward the front. I jumped on the home stretch and just tried to hammer the full lap. My wheel jumped twice in turn 2 again. I don't know what's going on with that. I think it might be partially because of the wind direction. Anyhow, got to the line first. Hooray.

Next was a Keirin for the flying 500 qualifiers. Kim got the spot behind the moto (does that have a name?). I sat behind and to the side of her. Kinda half wheeling between 1st and 2nd place. I tucked in until the moto pulled off and then attacked. I don't remember where on the track I attacked, but I was able to get the win. I guess I should pay more attention to this stuff.

The third race was a miss and out. This again was a modified format race with two neutral laps to start. The first lap was super slow because we weren't sure if the race had started yet as we never got the whistle. Eventually the race started and I slotted in to the front. I've started racing miss and outs like this now, as when I try to sit toward the back, I usually get boxed in. Suprisingly, I was able to sit up front for the whole race and get the win in this one.

After this was a 15 lap points race combined between the 1/2/3's and the 4's. It was nice to have a bigger field for this one. First sprint I jumped early and really had to work hard to hold my lead. After that I just kinda pulled up and cooled the pace off a little. The two other sprints held a similar theme with me having to go hard to hold off one of the cat4 guys and then pulling uptrack afterward to try to recover. On the last sprint I was able to get keith to lead me out which really helped. Otherwise had he pulled up, I would have had to lead the entire last lap.

The final event of the day was a standing start 400m. I was hoping for a fast start as the wind was behind me, but I felt so sluggish. The start was looong and then holding that pace felt really labored. I guess it was just so much hard riding earlier in the day combined with the wind. Regardless, I posted a pretty good time, 2nd for the day.

This put me in first for the omnium, and another job well done. After this I headed to the All-American Shootout Roller race thingy with keith, where I proceeded to get schooled by pros. Always a fun time.

No comments:

Post a Comment