23.12.12

R13.03 - Race: LICX / KPCX / Kreb Cyclocross #1

I am really not doing well at keeping up to date with these 'cross reports.  So this race was about a week ago.  The forecast called for on and off showers during the day.  Temperatures in the low-mid 40s if I remember correctly.  I was going to get up early to help set up the course, but I didn't sleep well again, so I got up late.  I still came in time to help set up the maze and a few other sections before changing and warming up.  My warmup consisted of a single half-assed lap around the course to get a sense of what it was like.  It was actually super fun, with two separate single barriers and one concrete ledge used as a step-up type barrier.  As for changing, all I wore was my long sleeve skinsuit, a cycling cap, and some embrocation on my legs.  I was very cold before the race and many people made a point of telling me how cold i would be during.

I lined up on the right side at the front of the group, Gregory talked about some stuff like how the manhole covers got stolen so watch out, and then he counted us down.  We went off, and I sprinted to the front, trying to stay near Brian Wolffe.  I was in fourth place, but was able to pass one rider to slot into third.  A BH rider was behind me and getting close as the laps went on.  Eventually, he passed me on the back stretch and I sat on his wheel to try to recover a little bit, but he slid out going into the maze, and I passed him again.  From that point on, he dropped back and I didn't really see much of him.  After the race I talked to him and he said he lost his rhythm.  In the meantime, I was in no man's land 30 seconds behind 2nd place and who knows how far behind Brian in first.  John Shea and Karl were walking along the course cheering me on, and so was Tori later on after she wrapped a course stake around her seatstay/chainstay/hub/RD/cassette.  That was a tangled mess.

Long story short, I was able to cruise my way in to third place overall in an open category field of 34 riders.  The drizzle started picking up right after the race, so I threw on my foul weather sailing gear and started tearing down the course.  We finished that around 1pm or so and I headed home to pass out.  It was a great race, and I'm glad I did so well.  Hopefully I do at least this well the next race on the 30th.

Warm up:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/252305076
Race:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/252305056
Results:
http://krebcycle.com/about/cyclocross-results-december-16-pg456.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment