20.1.12

Race: Kingsbridge Armory Velodrome Roller Race 1/19

Finally the event for which I've been doing endless tabatas (for one week) had arrived.  The National Cycling Association put this event on to raise money for their bid to convert the old Kingsbridge Armory into a world class indoor velodrome.  I am all for that idea.

I think in total there were 8 riders.  A few T-town riders showed up, including one multi-national champion women's track racer.  In addition there was Gavi, the local former-pro, and a few messengers including one who had never rode rollers before.  We started with the usual 500m TTs for seeding purposes. All of these were done on the middle set of rollers, which if I remember correct was the green set.  I posted the second fastest time behind Matt Diefenbach's 15.xx with a 17.41.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143195904

I've forgotten most of the details of round 1, but I can tell you this.  All of the rounds were done two up, with the blue and green rollers being used.  Reaching deep into my memory, I'm pretty sure the first and last round I was on the green middle rollers.  The second round I was on the blue side roller.  I'm pretty sure the first round I went up against Gavi.  Man, I really hope they post videos or photos so I can look all this up again.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143195899

Round two I faced Matt Diefenbach.  He was on the green and I was on the blue.  Our total 1k time was 33.xx seconds.  I had taken the lead for the first lap, but Matt got past me in second to win.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143195896

After another short break we went straight to the finals.  What happened to the semi-finals or repechages, I do not know.  I heard it was the official's first time doing a roller race, so I don't feel so upset about it.  Regardless, I was now in the 3rd place race up against Mike P.  I was on the green, he was on blue.  From what I heard we had a close race, but I was able to get the win.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143195890

With my third place win, I received $75 and a pair of Red Hook Crit socks.  Hooray.  Afterward, it was time for more beer (I think I was the only racer drinking the whole time) and some chit-chat with the crowd. It was a great group of people there, cheering everybody on.  I felt really happy the whole time with all the support, so thanks to whomever that was there that somehow ends up reading this.

Post post-race drinking, Mike and I went out for some pizza, and then I headed back to penn to catch my train back home.  Doing some math on the train, I figured out that after all the pizza, beer, raffle tickets, entry fees, train and subway fare I actually ended up spending $15.50.  Money well spent, I say.  Good luck to NCA and the Kingsbridge Armory Velodrome!

EDIT: For those who are interested, I think the final standings were:
1 - Matt Diefenbach
2 - Bobby Livingston
3 - Me!
4 - Gavi Epstein
5 - Mike Prokopec

2 comments: