17.3.10

2010.16 - Build 2 Week 3

Alright. Some big changes to the blog. mainly, i'm starting to post where in my training i am. Also, there is a high possibility of me racing this weekend. woo-ha.

Monday: Rest day

Tuesday: Did some sprints with Karl. I think it went well. We started with some good old fashioned warming up, and then did a set of four sprints. I won the first two, he won the last two. But I think it's because he was sprinting to a different line than me. I'll still accept victory, though. I don't know if I told you yet, internet, but I feel like i've been having trouble with exercise induced asthma lately. particularly when i've been doing those cruise intervals. I almost wonder if maybe my aerobics aren't quite up to par, and as such, when i go hard, the oxygen is sucked up faster than i can even breathe it in. who knows. my other theory is that this coldish weather makes more mucus run and causes my lungs to fill with crud. who knows. maybe i just suck.
Time: 1:13:05
Distance: 19.84 mi
Speed: 16.3 / 37.7 mph
HR: 157 / 191 bpm
Cadence: 91 / 130 rpm
Sprint max speed (approx): 35 / 33 / 33 / 31 mph

Wednesday: Today was a beautiful day. As such, I made sure to squander it as much as possible. Eventually, though, I had to ride. Met up with Karl again. I had the genius idea to get a slice of pizza and a root beer while I waited for karl. What a terrible idea. Anyhow, on to the ride. Felt goodish. I was able to keep a good pace for it. We tried some sprints again, though. Around 5 or so. Karl kicked my ass on all of them. My legs just didn't have it in them. I'm not sure why the average speed is so low on my ride though. I almost think maybe I left my garmin on while eating my pizza or something. It definitely felt alot faster of a ride.
Time: 2:18:46
Distance: 38.14 mi
Speed: 16.5 / 36.9 mph
HR: 153 / 189 bpm
Cadence: 95 / 157 rpm
EDIT: A-HA! turns out that when I updated the software for my garmin, the auto-pause got turned off again. taken care of.

Thursday: I put the carbon tubulars on the bike last night, so today I just did a short shakedown ride on them. they feel good. a little shakey with them, but nothing sketchy. also, my average is much higher with autopause turned on. also also, i have registered for the saturday spring series race. i might even register for the sunday race. intriguing.
Time: 00:39:28
Distance: 12.66 mi
Speed: 19.2 / 35.1 mph
HR: 168 / 188 bpm
Cadence: 94 / 120 rpm

Friday: Pretty much a rest day. Did a whole lot of nothing, which was great. Just a short, easy ride to get ready for racing tomorrow.

Saturday: Central Park spring series race. see the new race post above this about it.
Time: 2 hours approximately with ride to/from race

Sunday: Decided not to race today, and instead rode the 9W with my brother up to piermont/nyack. I think it was a pretty good ride. I don't know. I mean, riding with my brother was lots of fun, and the route was pretty scenic. Piermont is a cool little town. But...it was all just very strange. It felt alot more busy than it should have. Like the road was meant to be a small backroad, but everybody drives on it. And everybody rides along it, too. I can see where people get annoyed by bicycles and cars trying to coexist on this road at least. And then getting in to piermont, it was strange to see the whole town populated by people in lycra. We also checked out two bike shops along the way, piermont bikes and strictly bicycles, which is right by the GWB. piermont bikes was pretty cool. nice mechanic area, helpful staff, decent selection. Strictly bikes apparently is the big roadie hangout from what i can gather. the lower floor seemed nice, good clothing and tool selection. I didn't get to check out the mechanic area, so no opinion on that. Upstairs appeared to be the bicycle showroom floor. Unfortunately, it felt very much like an attic filled with a bunch of bikes. there was no organization, bikes facing all different ways, some just leaning against each other. some hanging from the ceiling via a strange stage curtain turned bike rack thing. and the only employee i saw up there was some kid playing on a computer in the corner. no help at all. well, that's all the write-up i have. i can finally say i rode the 9w. and hopefully i won't ever have to again.
Time: 2:30:54
Distance: 37.81 mi
Speed: 15.0 / 36.4 mph
Cadence: 84 / 134 rpm
HR: N/A

Weekly Wrap-up:
Hours wanted: 6
Actual: 8.5
Grade: A+ maybe? I don't really know what to do about overachieving. I never figured I would...

1 comment:

  1. Awesome job on the race. Maybe, you know, win next time!

    So what the grade on that hill look like?

    Also, you should post each day on top. So you post goes Sunday->Saturday->....->Monday. That way I don't have to reread what you did the day before.

    ReplyDelete