24.5.11

RACE: Tour de Parc 5/22/11

I'll just put it plainly: I was hoping, if not expecting, to do much better. keep that in mind as i complain about everything ever.

I woke up feeling not very well rested at all (I slightly destroyed my netbook with all my power and training data the night before) looking out at a cold, gloomy day that by all forecasts was supposed to be sunny and warm. I was planning on going out to breakfast with the parents after the race, so I just had a small bowl of cereal and called it good. Got to the race, got hassled by the registration staff who also were too lazy to even help to pin a guy's number. Pre-rode the course. It was a very short tear-drop with a single kinda-technical 180* turn. You would think as a promoter you would have the common courtesy of at least sweeping the only technical turn on the course. They made sure to have the giant inflatable start/finish line up, but not a damn broom to sweep up the gravel and leaves littering the inside line to the turn.

The race started. The usual sketchy lower cat riders. Nobody knows how to take a good line through that 180. Always within the front 10-15 guys. Made a small dig just to get the legs firing a little better. The pace settled around lap 4 and stayed steady until around lap 8. This is where I hit the wall. I just went straight backward. Sitting at the very back of the front group, I was able to finesse my way back up to top 10 in time to hit the little hill on the bell lap, but then faded back again and sat up as there was no point to try to contest for 1xth place.

Chatted with Percy for a little after the race. Well at least I tried to, I was mostly unable to breathe and hacking up a lung at that point while feeling lightheaded from bonking. Breakfast was delicious though.


Time: 00:25.41
Distance: 9.78mi
Speed: 22.9/32.4mph
Cadence: 96/176?
HR: 180/192bpm
NP/IF: no power.

No comments:

Post a Comment