21.11.14

2014: A Look Sideways!

Well...

So 2014 has more or less come and gone.  I have the CanAmQue challenge next weekend, which I'll be heading to as long as upstate doesn't get blasted with snow again.  I guess that'll be the official end of the 2014 season.  Maybe I'll call it the start of the 2015 season.  Who really knows.

In the meantime, I'll do a recap:

As I'm sure you all remember from my look ahead post that I never made this year, here were my goals for 2014:
-Sub 1:13 Kilo
-Win Spring Classic and/or States
-Get at least 10 Cat 2>1 upgrade points
-Top 10 placing in NTC calendar

Well, how'd I end up doing?  Here are my kilo times from the season:
Spring Classic: 1:16.56
Midwest Challenge: 1:15.03
Marymoor Gran Prix: 1:13.6
National Championships: 1:13.713
State Championships: 1:15.39

As you can see, I still need a little more work before I can give Francois Pervis a run for his money.  Close, but no cigar.

I came in third at the spring classic, but somehow eked out first place at states, so hooray for me there.

As far as I can tell, I got exactly 0.00 uprade points this season.  Womp womp.

And for the NTC Calendar?  I went into the midwest challenge signed up for the enduro events, and added some sprint events on a whim.  Turns out I'm not a track enduro when most of the field are national road pros.  I was halfway not-terrible in the sprints, though, and ended up 19th out of 64 on the sprint standings.  Still not top ten, but a surprise to say the least.

Grand total: 1/4 goals complete.  Shrug.

Let's take a deeper look at the season, shall we?  I did a grand total of four road races in two race days.  I rode two fields at Grant's Tomb Crit and two fields at Orchard Beach Crit.  I got dropped in both GTC races, stayed in the pack with no notable results at OBC.

I attended two NTC events, the Midwest Challenge, and the Marymoor Gran Prix.
MWC:
Elimination: 22/28
Scratch: 21/31
Points: DNF
Kilo: 11/23
Keirin: 5/12
Team Sprint: 2/15

MGP:
Elimination: 27/37
Scratch: 33/40
Points: DNF
Kilo: 11/17
Keirin: 14/15
Team Sprint: 3/15
Match Sprint: 12/21

Note that I created the winning break in the scratch race, but got gapped off our group of three when they announced a prime with a lap or two to go in the race.

I also raced at Nats this year.  I got knocked out of the scratch in the qualifier, 7/10 in the kilo (except every single person who raced the international omnium was faster than me), couldn't get past the rep in the keirin, and 4th in the team sprint.

I wasn't able to race at kissena at all on wednesdays because of no Cat1/2 racing there.  I raced a bunch of tuesdays (forgot how many) in the Pro/Am this year, and started racing Fridays as well.  Andrew Brennan and I got 3rd at tandemonium in the flying lap seeding and in the tandem sprints.  We ended up 4th in the tandem scratch.  Keith Hatton and I raced the final madisons of the season.  Our first madison was tuesday and our second was friday.  I might have almost killed the field, but the number of times we got yelled at as the nights went on decreased, so I think we're making progress, right?

Oh, better not forget I raced at GSVA again this year.  I think just once.  And I did the second life bikes roller races again.

I had the fastest qualifier at the NYVC roller race this year, but I screwed up my first round, which somehow kicked me straight off the podium.  4th.  Womp womp.

I guess that's it.  Stay tuned for next season.

No comments:

Post a Comment