21.6.13

R13.15: Fuji Super Tuesdays 6/4 - Stagiares

I have finally allowed this race report the proper two weeks to mature into a report filled with fuzzy details and half truths.  If I remember correctly, my legs were feeling pretty dead.  I think it's from standing all the time at work.  I don't have an opportunity to rest.

I met up with Jen and we headed out.  We tried a different way to the BQE by way of Atlantic Ave which did not work at all.  Beyond that, traffic was traffic.  We got there around 5:15 or so, I would say.  Here's my warm-up data:
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/324004631

The first race on the Stagiare program was a 2km scratch, which is 6 laps.  Mini Nothstein was still racing the Stagiares, as was Gord Singleton's son, because he lost his license or something.  I was told he was very fast, so I made sure to sit on his wheel, which happened to be right by the front with a lap to go, but he wasn't planning on contesting the sprint.  I got boxed in behind him, and wasn't able to make any moves.  Oh well.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/324004616

Up next was a 15 lap points race.  I found myself at the front on the bell lap for the first sprint, so I put in a hard dig, but my legs just weren't there.  I settled in, and tried an attack for the second sprint, but again, I got a gap but my legs couldn't keep it up.  The final sprint I just sat up and rolled in behind the group.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/324004604

The final race was a 12 lap tempo.  I was able to get away with one other rider, who wasn't too interested in swapping pulls, but I wasn't interested in pulling anyhow.  I picked up a handful single points and then we got swallowed up and that was that.  In the end it wasn't enough to get me into the omnium points.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/324004594

One big problem from this week was the pollen in the air.  I don't know what it was, but everybody was coughing up a lung.  It felt like my throat was on fire, and I thought I would just cough out a lung at some point.

Instead of getting a bear at the concession stand, Joe B suckered me into racing the Pro/Am feature.  It was a 35 lap points race.  Andrew B said I should gear up to around 96", so I switched to my disc with my 14.  All my other racing was done on the usual 90".  This was good advice, because it was the only way I was able to keep with the field.  I spent the whole race sitting in, staying in either the first or second group.  At one point Andrew B and I got gapped off the back, but we were able to work to get back up there.  By the final sprint, I sat up again and rolled in coughing like mad.  It felt good to be able to keep up with the group.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/324004578

No comments:

Post a Comment